The Cuyahoga River is now an Ohio Water Trail
The Cuyahoga River Water Trail The Cuyahoga River is a symbol of efforts to clean up America’s waterways.
Famous for catching fire, the Cuyahoga is now sparking excitement. Wildlife and people are returning. The proposed Cuyahoga River Water Trail will take advantage of new opportunities and create the lasting legacy of the rejuvenation of the Cuyahoga River.
- Increase public access to and along the Cuyahoga River for all people.
- Share resources to create better and safer experiences for visitors.
- Enjoy the health and beauty of the Cuyahoga River.
- Boost tourism and economic development in nearby communities.
Ohio’s 13th state designated water trail
Thanks to this designation, you can enjoy:
- 24 public access points along nearly 90 miles of river.
- A diverse variety of paddling experiences including: calm and scenic waters near Hiram, challenging white water in the gorge of Cuyahoga Falls, naturally remote areas in Summit Metro Parks and Cuyahoga Valley National Park and the industrial shipping channel in Cleveland.
- The lasting legacy project of the rejuvenation of the Cuyahoga River, which celebrated 50 years since the final river fire this past June.
What is a water trail?
how can I support the trail
Where is the trail?
- City of Akron
- City of Cuyahoga Falls
- City of Kent
- Cleveland Metroparks
- Cuyahoga Valley National Park
- Geauga Park District
- Mantua Village
- Portage Park District
- Summit Metro Parks
- Village of Silver Lake
- American Canoe Association
- American Whitewater
- Conservancy for Cuyahoga Valley National Park
- Cuyahoga River Restoration
- Friends of the Crooked River
- Friends of the Gorge
- Keelhaulers Canoe Club
- Kent State University Recreation Services
- National Park Service – Rivers, Trails and Conservation Assistance
- Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District
- Ohio Department of Natural Resources – Scenic Rivers Program
- Ohio Environmental Protection Agency
- Share the River
- The Trust for Public Land
- West Creek Conservancy